After the revolution of 1917 the printing production of the Expedition of Storing State Papers (that was how Goznak was called before 1919) was moved to Moscow, but the Mill producing banknote paper remained in Petrograd. With time its capacities were not enough. The Counsel of People’s Commissars decided to build a new paper mill of Goznak in Krasnokamsk of Molotovskaya (now Perm) Region on March 11, 1932. The construction of the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill was acknowledged urgent and included into the list of shock-work constructions.
The works started in 1933 with the construction of the industrial buildings – repair and mechanical, paper stock and machine. Then the construction of semi-finished material and grinding workshops, transformer substations was started.
Few engineers and technicians were delegated to Krasnokamsk from Leningrad, Vologda and Gorkovskaya Region. The majority of the first constructors were peasants, moreover, they were seasonal workers – they left the building site and went to their villages when it was time to seed or collect the harvest. It was from them that the first employees of the Paper Mills were chosen. In 1934 the first class of technicians and technologists for the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill of Goznak graduated from the Leningrad Cellulose and Paper Technical School. According to the first project, its construction should have been accomplished by that time.
By the end of 1935 the main buildings of the Paper Mill in Krasnokamsk had been built. The works upon the equipment mounting were started.
On December 9, 1936 cylinder mold machine No. 5 by Wagner (Germany) was put into operation a t the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill. It was the first of the four papermaking machines to be mounted at the new Mill. By the end of the year 53.4 tons of paper was produced for Goznak’s needs. It was impossible to print anything on the first paper of Goznak in Krasnokamsk. It was plain and grey. It appeared on December 9, 1936, and it was a holiday which is still; celebrated by the team of the Paper Mill.
The construction of Goznak’s second paper mill was accomplished in 1937. Since then, Goznak had a high-capacity papermaking production site: the Leningrad and Krasnokamsk Paper Mills not only provided for the industrial requirements of Goznak for special paper in full measure, but also produced a number of high-quality sorts of paper for the national economy and for export. In 1937 the Mill produced 4 096 tons of paper.
By 1940 the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill was up and running at full capacity. To compare with the launch year, 1937, the volume of paper produced grew four times. 15.2 tons of about 30 sorts of paper were made on three machines. For the first time the production plan was accomplished in all indexes. The cellulose bleaching workshop was launched.
The war intervened into the further production development. In 1941 the equipment and a part of the personnel of the Moscow Printing Factory and the Leningrad Mint were evacuated to Krasnokamsk.
In September 1941 a branch of the Moscow Printing Factory started the production and received the name of the Krasnokamsk Printing Factory.
To go into full production and execute the planned tasks in the full volume and on time, the Krasnokamsk Printing Factory required about 2 thousand employees. Only 646 workers and specialists arrived from Moscow. That was the core of the team that grew with years. The team grew due to the inhabitants of adjacent villages, girls and teenagers evacuated to the Urals from the western regions of the country. The employees from Moscow worked 11 – 12 hours a day, including weekends and taught novices simultaneously.
In October the Krasnokamsk Branch of the Leningrad Mint started working already within the framework of Goznak.
Since October 30 till December 30, 1941 363 people were hired to the Krasnokamsk Mint, beside those who arrived from Leningrad together with the equipment and leaders of various ranks. Including 221 women of different ages and 129 teenagers. That was the working class of the wartime, who replaced on site their fathers, grandfathers, husbands and brothers who had gone to the war. Until 1945 the team continued to grow, also due to people evacuated from Moscow and Leningrad, refugees from the territories occupied by the enemy, ex-soldiers. Local residents were also hired to the Krasnokamsk Mint. When the Mint returned to Leningrad in the Autumn of 1946, many of them followed the enterprise that had become home to the city on the Neva. Some employees of the Krasnokamsk Mint were sent to Moscow to improve the Moscow Mint with hi-skilled personnel.
The Krasnokamsk Paper Mill became the only paper supplier for the printing sites of Goznak. Simultaneously the Mill started to execute the war orders and supplied the defense industry and the national economy with special sorts of paper, like cartographic and photosensitive, fuller board cardboard. During the war the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill mastered the production of over 60 technically complicated papers and cardboards, and the paper assortment consisted of 86 sorts. In September 1942 papermaking machine No. 1 was mounted and launched at the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill. During the war the employees of Goznak at Krasnokamsk became the major suppliers of special and technical sorts of paper. Cardboard and fuller board produced here was supplied to the aircraft and footwear industries – all counters of the soldiers’ boots were made of the cardboard.
The specialists of the Leningrad Mint and the workers newly hired in Krasnokamsk started producing medals “For Valour” and “For Military Merits”. Later on the Krasnokamsk Branch of the Leningrad Mint produced medals “For the Defense of Odessa”, “For the Defense of Sevastopol”, orders “Red Star”, “Patriotic War” of two classes. In 1942 and 1943 subsidiary coins were minted only in Krasnokamsk.
On August 28 1943 there was a festive meeting of employees of the Krasnokamsk enterprises of Goznak – the Printing Factory, the Paper Mill and the Mint. It was dedicated to the 125th anniversary of foundation of the Expedition of Storing State Papers – the progenitor of Goznak.
During the war years 751 employees of the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill went to war. 134 people died a hero's death protecting the Motherland. 700 employees were awarded with military orders and medals, including Alexander Mikhailovich Kalugin who was honored with the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union.
At the end of 1945 a large group of employees of the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill were awarded with the government decorations. In 1946 the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill received the red challenge banner of the All-Union Central Council of Trade-Unions and the People’s Commissariat of Finance of the wartime for permanent storage for the dedicated service of its employees during the war years.
Right after the war the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill and the Krasnokamsk Printing Factory started working upon the currency reform of 1947.
In the 1960 the complex technical re-equipment of the factory in Krasnokamsk was started.
Before 1960 offset printing had not been applied at the Krasnokamsk Printing Factory. A group of printers and workers from Krasnokamsk were sent to Moscow to master the jobs of the offset production. An old two-ink offset machine was delivered to Krasnokamsk from the Moscow Printing Works. Later on, after the Printing Factory was moved to Perm, a set of the Russian equipment for the production of offset plates was purchased, the first Russian two-ink machines POL-1, and then POL-6 were installed. Soon two-, four- and even six-ink machines were purchased from the German Democratic Republic.
On December 14, 1960 the holiday called the Day of the Young Worker was celebrated at the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill for the first time; it soon became traditional.
In 1968 the last workshop of the Printing Factory located within the territory of the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill since the wartime was moved to the Perm Printing factory. After that a plate workshop, an interfactory traffic department, a central research laboratory were organized in Krasnokamsk. A new canteen, a production and domestic building was built, saunas started working in every workshop, and comfortable cloakrooms were opened. The Krasnokamsk Paper Mill was called an Enterprise with high industrial standards. In 1961 – 1972 the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill built 846 apartments for the employees with the total area of 35 131 square meters. Objects of culture, health service, trade, public catering, kindergartens and schools were built simultaneously. It was the first important stage of not only the Mill reconstruction, but also the development of town of Krasnokamsk.
Today the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill – Branch of Goznak remains the township-forming enterprise equipped with modern machinery and cutting-edge technologies, possessing a highly qualified and solid team.
The production of banknote and security paper is a strategic direction of Goznak’s activity, and the Enterprise invests considerable sums into the modernization of the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill. Today Goznak is building a new banknote building here. It is planned to install and launch the most modern equipment for the production of banknote and security paper before the end of 2015. To provide the new banknote production with water of the necessary quality, a new water purification station is being built at the Mill. The new banknote production will provide high quality of paper, prompt execution of orders, an opportunity of implementation of innovated paper security means demanded by the customers.
A project of complete reconstruction of the already existing park of papermaking machines is carried out simultaneously. The aim is to replace the existing assortment of the papers produced with high-tech kinds of products.
One may say that the Paper Mill of Goznak in Krasnokamsk is experiencing the second birth. The Mill is already coping with large volumes of production of the banknote and security paper, including paper for export supplies. A large assortment of industrial sorts of paper of high quality for the printing production, drawing and painting, digital printing machines and basis of fliseline wall coverings.